On Pedder Introduction
Interactions with other people are a necessary part of both our personal and professional lives. Every time you offer your services to a customer, you are engaged in a customer service interaction. This applies to both paying and non-paying customers. There is a skill in handling this interaction and the better you are at it, the more you will get out of this interaction and the subsequent dealings you may have with this customer. Hence, customer service skills are a critical set of skills to master in life.
In the highly competitive fashion boutique industry there is one particular retailer that stands out not only for the high quality products it sells but also for its remarkable staff. On Pedder is Asia’s foremost source of designer footwear, handbags, fine jewelry and fashion accessories. What makes On Pedder unique is that coveted designers are presented alongside exclusive products, unique collaborations and regular pop-up exhibitions..
When On Pedder decided its staff needed to fine tune their English skills to remain at the front of the highly competitive fashion retail industry, they turned to English Today. English Today boasts not only Jakarta’s best English training but also has teachers who are specialists in customer service training. Students therefore receive not only quality English training but are also taught:
- The four different customer types and how to get them to respond to your sales style.
- Handling customers through different communication channels (in person, telephone, e-mails)
- How to present product benefits and features in a way that appeal to clients.
- Open and closed questions and how and when to use them with customers.
- The magic formula to use when dealing with customer complaints.
Language acquisition and development has always fascinated me which was why I pursued a career in language teaching. For the past 10 years I have pursued my passion in the research and the development of effective language learning programs and material design. My 18 years of experience in the EFL industry, working with a wide variety of different industries and with an extremely diverse student base, has provided me with valuable knowledge of how companies within specific industries operate and the communication skills needed by their employees. This has assisted me greatly in developing programs and materials that suit specific company needs and individual learning styles.
An Interview with Joe
What was your first impression of the Traveloka staff?
How do you approach a company like this?
How do you know what you are going to teach them?
Do you feel the On Pedder staff enjoyed your course?
Why did On Pedder choose English Today?
The English course taught to the staff of On Pedder aimed to not only increase their already existing knowledge of the language but also to provide a strong boost to their English speaking confidence. The course relied on a mix of conversational and grammatical lessons where each of the points was presented in a real-world immersive environment. The course objectives were as follows:
- Students were able to differentiate between formal and informal English.
- Students were able to greet customers and quickly understand needs.
- Students were able to improve their writing for internal company communications.
- Students were able to handle customer complaints in an efficient and professional manner.
- Students were able to understand English speakers from a variety of countries (even non-native).
- Students were able to communicate with customers via e-mail and telephone.
It is one thing to promise a good course but quite another to see real results. The On Pedder staff showed almost immediate improvement in their customer service skills and their confidence in English improved so much that customers commented on their excellent language skills. For me, as their teacher and facilitator, it was a great honour to have assisted such a wonderful group of people in their professional life and to have contributed to On Pedder’s customer service growth in Jakarta.
At English Today, we are interested in providing companies complete holistic training. We know that English is best learned when used together with real life needs. We understand that the focus should always be real-world, not theory and formulas your staff will never use or need.
- Providing a fun and immersive environment.
- Providing only real-world English, instead of formulas and theories his students will never use.
- Providing a confidence-building atmosphere based on conversation and real examples.
- Instructive games that stimulate real learning, rather than dry text-book teaching.
Is your company ready for the difference?
Are you satisfied learning from a desk bound English teacher who educates from the pages of out dated books or are you looking for a multi-skilled expert and motivator who can bring out the best in your staff? Let us show you our difference.
- Custom designed materials made specifically for your company.
- Real-world application, not just theories your staff will never use.
- Hand picked, entertaining and passionate English teachers.
- Immersive classroom environments where the students are the stars.
- Progress you can see and hear.