How to Express Opinions in English
Learn how to express opinions in English and to give reasons for your opinions. One of the most important English skills is to express opinions in English with supported reasons. The most common fear of English students at English Today is being asked their opinion on something and not being able to express opinions in English.
A: I need help planning my vacation.
B: Sure, where would you like to go?
A: I haven’t decided where to go yet.
B: Do you enjoy warm or cold climates?
A: I am thinking that I might enjoy a tropical climate. So, do you think that Bali is a great place to visit?
B: I believe that, yes. Food and clothes are affordable and it’s easy to
travel around the island. Also they have a beautiful scenery.
A: What kind of activities can I do in Bali?
B: I think there are a lot activities you can do there. It really depends on your preference really.
A: Can you give me a couple examples?
B: Well you can go to the temples and enjoy the ambiance, the hustle and bustle of the various cafes in Seminyak, or maybe you could try yoga and relax in Ubud.
A: Hmm, that’s interesting. Which beach do you think I should visit?
B: You should visit Canggu beach as it is very popular right now, Kuta used to be the ‘must visit’ beach. But Padang-padang beach is also very beautiful.
A: Ok, thank you for your opinion. I will think about visiting Bali.
B: You’re welcome.
Giving opinion, memberikan pendapat kepada orang lain dapat menggunakan :
- I (really) think that …
- I believe (that) …
- I’m sure that …
- In my opinion / My opinion is …
Seperti pada dialog “I believe that, yes.” dan “I think there’s a lot activities you can do there.”
Key Vocabulary :
Fill in the blank using vocabularies in the box
1. You ______ visit Padang-padang beach in Uluwatu.
2. In my opinion Tegalalang in Ubud in known for it’s beautiful _________ .
3. The mountain range provide Ulun Danu Beratan Temple with dreamy backdrop and ________ .
4. I’m sure that you can go to Kuta Art market for _______ souvenirs.
5. Walk along Seminyak to enjoy the ________ and bustle of various shops and restaurants.
6. A lot of foreigners enjoy the warm _______ of Bali.